Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday in Hong Kong

We’ve had a fun day here in Hong Kong, exploring this city, getting attacked by wild monkeys (that would be ME who got attacked), riding the fantastic subway system, walking through some hills, seeing the Lutheran seminary where our friend Rebecca teaches (SO beautiful) and exploring the Temple Night Market, where we had dinner outside in the warm, warm air.

It’s been in the high 80s with about 90 percent humidity, so we’re roasting, but we’re also taking it easy and trying not to move to quickly, so the heat is actually kind of nice. We’re also adjusting to the time change, although it’s 8:30 p.m. here and I can’t wait to go to bed, which I will do after I write this post.

As we sat outside eating dinner tonight, Aaron and I both talked about some of the things we love about the Chinese culture. A strong sense of community is definitely one thing we appreciate, as well as the way people here are so innovative with what little they have, be it space, money, possessions, or resources. I have no idea what to expect from Mainland China, but here in Hong Kong, the people are vibrant and so alive.

For me, it’s neat to have a few days to experience Chinese culture in this way—because I want Matthew to know how much I love this place that was his first home, and I want to tell him stories about how special this country is. We also hope to bring him back here one day, along with Maya and Sam, so our whole family can share in this wonderful place together.

Here are a few snapshots from our day. This isn’t supposed to be my “travel” blog, so I won’t bore you terribly with a list of what we did today, but below are a few highlights that encapsulate our time in Hong Kong so far. All in all, though, I’m really anxious to get to Guangzhou (which we’ll do on Sunday) so we can get ready to meet Matthew on Monday sometime.

Our day in Hong Kong:
  1. Dim sum at a wonderful restaurant that overlooked Shatin Park
  2. A hike up to the 10,000 buddhas monastery (there are REALLY 10,000 buddhas in all)
  3. Views of Kowloon Peninsula and the harbor from the Lutheran seminary grounds
  4. Walking the labrynth at the Tao Fung Shan Center, also high above the city
  5. Being pawed by a wild monkey as we walked back down to catch the train (ask me about this in person—it’s a moment I’ll never forget)
  6. Strolling through the night market and eating outside at a local restaurant
It’s been a good day to rest and get ready for the even bigger adventures that are ahead of us!

Aaron in downtown Hong Kong as we started our day today

Walking alongside the river (city in the background)

Rebecca and me at the start of the 10,000 Buddhas Monastery

And here are some of the 10,000. They are REALLY impressive.

The Buddha that most resembled Aaron

The crazy monkey who tried to attack me

Lutheran Theological Seminary of Hong Kong (taken especially for Seongheon and Yunhui!)

View of Hong Kong and surrounding mountains

2 comments:

  1. These are amazing. Visiting China is one of my top travel wishes. Way to take full advantage of your first day in China!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How far to Guangzhou? How will you travel there? I'm so glad that you and Aaron are having this time together in such an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete